I took my child to Sylvan over the summer to work on reading, math, and study skills. I planned out his schedule with the director and manager from the beginning, however, each week I was being contacted as to what was he supposed to be working on. My child had rotating tutors that were inconsistent in their tutoring approach. He stated one teacher said that he wasn’t doing the math problem correctly, but offered no instruction to show him the right way.

In the reading portion he was given a tablet with reading skills to do on his own and checked with the tutor after. My son said that once the work was automatically graded by the computer that was it, no one helped him review or guided him to why he got the grade he had. At the follow up conferences with Heather or Rebecca, I was being told that my child is doing great and they showed me what area he needs more help in, but when my child went to the next session he was again working independently and no one helping him on the areas he needed improvement.

As a hardworking parent trying to prepare my child’s with extra tools for his future, I felt that this was truly a waste of time and money. They clearly are only interested in getting your money and not committing the needed time for the students.

This experience with Sylvan Learning Center in McKinney left us totally disgusted.

Don’t waste your time!

Product or Service Mentioned: Sylvan Learning Center Teacher.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I didn't like: Unorganized.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Nov 10, 2015.

Comments

That’s not true. On the independent work the teacher’s gauge if the student it understanding the work or not (it was taught the previous time).

As soon as the assignement is done, the teacher has to score the assignment. There is no automatic scoring, unless you are doing math edge on the iPad.

Math edge is an independent math program so the students DO work alone- but you know that when you sign up for it and it’s not meant for students that need guidance. It’s also much cheaper.

I work at Sylvan as a tutor. They have some idiotic policy where you aren't actually allowed to help your students with the bulk of the work that they do. Actually helping your students is (literally) only allowed for about 1/6 of the workload that you give them, per corporate policy.